The Patrician Press Short Story and Poetry Prize
We are pleased to announce that the first ever Patrician Press Prize is now open for submissions
Age 18 upwards
Closes 31 March 2016
Results 30 June 2016
Maximum length Short stories and poems can be any length up to 2,500 words.
Judges Anna Johnson, editor; Emma Kittle-Pey, writer; Petra McQueen, writer and lecturer in Creative Writing at University of Essex; Joceline Bury, journalist.
First – One week stay at writer’s retreat in Italy* and publication of story or poem in Patrician Press Anthology
Second – Full set of Patrician Press titles and publication of story or poem in Patrician Press Anthology
Third – Patrician Press title of your choice and publication of story or poem in Patrician Press Anthology
The winning entries will be chosen from a shortlist of six stories and poems. All six entries will be published in the anthology.
The competition is free
How to Enter On-line
Please follow the instructions. Under ‘genre’ insert ‘SHORT STORY/POEM PRIZE’.
MAKE SURE YOUR NAME AND CONTACT DETAILS ARE NOT ON THE STORY or POEM. (Judging is done anonymously.) Your story or poem and name are linked automatically when you enter.
Stories will not be returned.
Rules for Short Story and Poetry Prize
- Entry is online only via Patrician Press Submissions page.
- Only one entry per person.
- The competition is open to writers of any nationality writing in English.
- The theme is based on ‘Refugees and Peace-Seekers’.
“No one leaves home unless home is the mouth of a shark.” Warsan Shire, Teaching My Mother How to Give Birth
“When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.” Jimi Hendrix
(Stories and poems can be light-hearted in approach, reflecting the subjects of refugees or peace, or both.)
- The winning stories or poems must not have been published previously.
- Patrician Press will hold electronic and paperback publishing rights for a period of three months after which the electronic and paperback publishing rights revert to the author.
- Notification of receipt of entry will be by email.
- The judges’ verdict is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
- Stories or poems cannot be altered or substituted once they have been entered.
- Judging is anonymous. Name and contact details must not appear on the stories or poems, but inserted into the boxes on submissions form.
- Entry is taken as acceptance of these rules.
* Airfare to writer’s retreat is not included. Pick-up from airport and travel inside Italy is included.
Patricia Borlenghi who runs Patrician Press is severely hearing impaired and tries to encourage writers with disabilities as much as possible.